Tuesday, July 22, 2008

First Changes In My Diet


Last week I made a list of foods that I could live with and begin the diet transformation process. Okay, I really don't want to give up coffee (yet) and will honor the wishes of my body as I edge toward cleaner living.

Next stop-Whole Foods where I made my way to the skinless, organic chicken (about $3.-$4 for 4 drumsticks or 2 legs), I got Tamari gluten free, low sodium soy sauce, brown rice syrup (surprisingly delicious!) as a honey substitute, hummus, pita and organic yogurt-to have in the morning with cut up fruit and the rice syrup. I also bought an organic beer because I LOVE good beer. All my vegetables and fruits were purchased in Brooklyn while visiting my brother-so incredibly inexpensive. I will try to switch to the organic stuff when I get back to work.

Like I said, I am easing into the new lifestyle, so occasionally I will eat eggs with cheese for breakfast or have non-organic fowl like the turkey I ate today with the skin. If I eat really well for most of the week, I don't feel bad about lapsing on the weekend.

I almost forgot one of my most important purchases-Quinoa (keen-wah) a South American super healthy grain that takes on the flavor of whatever you put in it. I made mine (1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup water) with cut up beets, Tamari and chopped garlic. It was surprisingly really delicious! When I needed to snack later after the grapes I bought didn't fill me up, I ate the rest of the quinoa.

Keeping up with my yoga practice is what makes my body want these healthy things. For the first time in my life I naturally desire the better foods.

I hear that miso soup helps when you want to suppress a craving-coming up next!

No comments: