Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Bit of Spirituality - I'm Starting to Get It!


Three Jewels with Lisa - and only one other student.

Firstly, I am thankful for an intimate class. If it was my choice, I would have my own private teacher, something I've always had with other belief systems I have been involved with. But, there's something to be said for anonymity in a larger class, no singling out, less pressure.

So we start with some meditation and chanting to Hindu deities. Lisa is using some kind of floor accordion that opens and closes from one side (I will get the name). We dedicate our session to someone that needs it and we do an honoring of a teacher from our past.

I chose a spiritual brother/teacher who passed over about 15 years ago, Shadow. He was a marine sergeant, Special Ops in Viet Nam, a spiritualist priest and strong in Native American ways-all things he taught and passed on to me.

This is another thing I love about Three Jewels, you dedicate your healing Yoga (and its struggle) to someone who needs it and you can call in a long lost teacher back into your life, continuing to benefit from their experiences. It shows me yoga has its own universal center where all belief systems have a common ground.

This session proved to be strong and fulfilling. I can't say "as usual" because every session is different, because I come in with different things each time. I did surprise myself because I was able to do Wheel asana (see photo).

Lisa high fived me, still twisted upside-down.

No comments: