Saturday, July 19, 2008

Three Jewels 2 - A Spiritual Infusion and Complex Poses

Last Wednesday I made my way over to 4th Ave. To my current Yoga home base, Three Jewels. I had a wonderful conversation with the young lady working behind the counter, Laura. As usual, everyone there was open, kind and attentive-in the moment.

Our instructor Lisa shows up a bit late. She radiates Earth Motherliness and has long, Rasta-ey hair-something I really love.

The class consisted of 3 women and myself and we began with a 15 minute meditation, receiving from an important teacher in our lives, dedicating our Yoga to the healing of a specific individual.

The physical part of the session was nice and intense. I was able to do the Crow asana, which is achieved by putting your hands flat on the floor, hooking your thighs into your arms, lifting legs and feet above the floor-and I was able to do it

Surprised the heck out of me! I also did a shoulder stand (kind of easy for me) and a head stand which I held for a minute.

Now, dear readers, I am not trying for Beijing here, as I've said before, Yoga is not a competitive sport. Its about finding your own integrity in each pose and also finding your edge, that point that makes you try a little harder and grow while feeling comfortable in your pose.

The instructor, Lisa, is a true healer. She assisted in helping us extend our poses and actually laid hands on us if we needed or so desired.

It took me a while to "come back" after the class. When I finally did, I was all blissed out, beaming like a roadside bodhisatva, one with the tree behind him.

Then I was off to a drag queen art show in Soho. Such is the life of a New Yorker.

No comments: